Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 4-Practice Practice Practice

In the picture above, I am comparing a work-in-progress reed to a completed reed that I know can play.  I highly recommend having a completed example reed in order to compare where your work-in-progress reed is, and gauge how much further you need to scrape.

I was mainly focused on scraping the tip of my reed today, because it needed to be much thinner before I cut it.

I scrape with a Mark Chudnow Woodwinds knife.  However, if you go to www.forrestsmusic.com they have many reed making tools that you can pick and choose from.

How I scrape:  I am right-handed.  Therefore, I hold the handle of my knife in my right hand.   My right index finger is resting lightly on the sharp part of my knife.  If my left hand, I push my thumb into the smooth side of the knife, and rock my right wrist back and forth.  I hold the reed with the crook of my left index finger.

I don't like scraping on completely dry cane, so I make sure that I have a small water container next to wear I'm working. This way I can ensure that I periodically wet my reed.  I find that if my reed is not at least slightly damp, there's a higher likelihood that it will crack, and you never want that to happen.

-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment